Thursday, November 24, 2011

Gratefulness

Being part of the Horn of Africa crisis assessment has reminded me how I ought to be thankful. Drought in the Horn of Africa, coupled with conflict in Somalia, has affected over 13 million people. The Famine Early Warning Systems Network, FEWSNET, reported that this year was among the driest since 1950. The Horn of Africa encompasses Somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti and Kenya. It’s one of the most food insecure regions in the world, characterized by frequent droughts and conflict. However, there have been parts of Kenya that have not experienced food scarcity. My home town is one of them.



Nyeri town is situated about 150 km (93 miles) north of Kenya's capital Nairobi, in the fertile Central Highlands, lying between the eastern base of the Aberdare (Nyandarua) Ranges and the western slopes of Mount Kenya. Temperatures range between 12°-28°C (53°-82°F). Rainfall average per annum is ~1100mm.
Nyeri is an agricultural town and food is always in plenty. When I look around, I can’t help but be grateful. Lush green fields, forests, rolling hills….

I am grateful for my town, that not many families are starving.  I do not take that for granted.
I will continue to pray for those affected by drought and do what I can to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment